Master Bathroom Renovation

Pin It Once the deck was finished, I didn't waste much time.  I decided it was time to work on the master bathroom.  I thought it would be one of those projects where I wanted to design and build the cabinets so it would be exactly what I wanted.  However, after building the deck last month, I decided I didn't want to spend a month in the garage building cabinets.  I started researching cabinets (kitchen and vanity) at Home Depot, Lowe's and IKEA.  IKEA had so many options as far as design and storage, I thought that was probably the best decision for what I needed.  I designed a new vanity using IKEA's kitchen designer website.  Designing the vanity was a bit of a challenge since there were several issues.  

First, there was a wall separating the linen closet and the vanity.  I don't know about you, but my linen closet has about half of the space wasted.  There is about 2' at the top you can't reach because of the header on the linen closet door.  There is about 16"-18" of wasted space in the front where there are no shelves.  I wanted to remove the wall and incorporate a tall IKEA cabinet to utilize as a linen closet.  However, I scratched that idea once I measured the inside width of the linen closet.  I should be able to remove the front of the closet (a couple of 2x4's in the wall, the door and the header) and slide in a cabinet.  This will keep the wall and still give me the storage.


Here are a few of the planning stage ideas:

Drafting Sketch Up Plan
IKEA Kitchen Designer

Second issue was the fact the IKEA cabinets had full fronts and full doors.  The side of the vanity by the door has trim that sticks out .75".  If I were to build the vanity all the way to the wall, I'd never be able to open the doors/drawers fully.  Instead of an 18" middle drawer cabinet, I switched to a 15" drawer cabinet.  Yes, I will lose a bit of storage, but I won't have to worry about bowed walls and door trim during the install.

Lastly, vanity cabinets are typically shorter and have less depth than kitchen cabinets.  Having taller cabinets is part of the reason for the remodel, so that wasn't the issue.  The issue was making sure the depth of the kitchen cabinets didn't make the room feel too small or create any accessibility issues down the road when we go to sell.

On a side note, this was my first time purchasing kitchen cabinets at IKEA.  If you do intend to buy cabinets there, make sure you stop at the kitchen department and have them enter all of the items in the computer there.  I didn't realize they didn't have the items in the warehouse.  They have to create the order for you, you pay, then they pull the items from the back.  It takes about an hour for them to pull the items, so plan to have lunch or do more shopping while you wait.

Sadly, IKEA was out of the door fronts for the two side cabinets at the time I purchased these.  I will hopefully have those in the next week or two as I work on the backsplash, floor, baseboards and eventually, the linen cabinet.

Here are a few photos of the last two days:


Didn't use the IKEA feet or baseboards.  I'm using 2x4 base with my own trim.
 Had to chisel out the old ceramic flooring and thick concrete base.  Kind of wish I decided to keep those floors now, but onward...
The builders cut out the drywall for last vanity top to fit flush to wall.  I'll be adding filler today for the backsplash.
Each of those middle drawers have two separate drawers for a total of six.  The bottom of the sink cabinets have two drawers each.  The bigger bottles and larger items can be stored under the sinks.

Including a few photos of the new shower doors.  One of the photos has the original vanity (in the background).









Check back soon for more progress on the master bathroom remodel.

Karen

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog through Pinterest. I love your laundry room countertop! I also love the Memoirs sink you're using in the master bath and am intrigued by the IKEA cabinet you've crafted into a bathroom vanity. I would love to do that! It would be helpful to hear the details and how you're incorporating the sink into that vanity. Please post again!

    ReplyDelete