Wood Countertops for Laundry Room

Pin It
I had to cover a nine foot long span here in the laundry room.  Regular laminate countertops were probably a good choice.  I also considered tile or looking for smaller pieces of granite. 

However, after I weighed the choices I selected wood.  There isn't a sink in this space so water damage isn't going to be a problem (unless one of those hoses on the washer ever break while I'm on vacation-because that is usually when floods happen), plus this was inexpensive.  I used cedar planks which were lighter (but they will also dent and scratch more easily) than regular pine, so I could carry this long piece all by myself.

Here is how I did it. 

First, I measured the length and the width of the project.  For counter tops, you usually want to have about an inch or two of overhang on the front (depending on the doors, hardware, etc) and a half inch to an inch at the end(s).  My cabinets were 24" deep, so I made my countertop 25.5" deep.  I had to also consider the door swinging in from the garage and the 25.5" gave plenty of space for the door to move. 

Then, I cut the perimeter pieces (mitered).  Since this was a nine foot span and the boards were only eight feet, I couldn't use full pieces and had to stagger my joints.  On the perimeter pieces I had joints in the middle, but in the interior pieces I kept the pieces long and only had smaller pieces on the ends.  
 

I laid out the pieces and fit them together like a puzzle until I was satisfied with the layout and where the joints were going to line up.


Then I set to marking the boards every 8-12" along the length of the boards and on the ends until I had every board attached to another.


Then I used the KREG to drill the holes.  If you look closely at the above photo, you will see the marks along the boards (staggered) to keep the boards together and make it stronger.

On the mitered ends, I used the flat "L" brackets and secured two into each corner.  You can use a KREG on the miter, but I've done it before and I thought it was a bit difficult to keep the miter perfectly square and level when I screwed together. 

Then I flipped it over, sanded and stained.




After the stain dried, I added a couple of layers of poly to the top (lightly sanding in between each coat).
I cut a gap in the back for the hoses and cords for the appliances.


I attached with "L" brackets to the walls and the cabinets to secure the countertop in place.



And that dear friends is how I made my $35 cedar wood countertop for my laundry room.  If you want to check out the entire laundry room reveal post, CLICK HERE!

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by The Quaint Cottage.

Karen


21 comments:

  1. You are so awesome. You did an amazing job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Darci McAfee4/6/12, 10:40 AM

    Man, you're a BOSS! These turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love this! Pinned it--following you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Darci McAfee Thank you Miss Darci. That means a lot coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so fascinated by this project. I really want overcome the fear of taking on a big project like this (big for me!) I have been reading about 20 of your posts this morning. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely love this laundry room reveal. My favorite part is the countertop. What color stain did you use? Everything is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Stacy D I used Minwax (yellow can) of special walnut.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Jami Welcome and thanks for checking out the posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your countertop caught my eye immediately! It's really lovely, and so thrifty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a fabulous project. Great job!

    Carolyn
    {my simple messterpiece}

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for the instructions for the counter top! We need the counter to be about one wood plank deeper so this is a great option especially since we don't want to spend extra on custom (deeper) cabinets. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. *deeper counters

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an impressive look from a uncomplicated design. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great job, looks beautiful. So proud of you Karen!

    ReplyDelete