Metal Backsplash in Laundry Room

Pin It

Here is my inexpensive metal backsplash for the laundry room.  Does it remind you of something?  Like the inside of your air vents?  It is.


Since I had to raise the base cabinets and add extra top cabinets, it only left about a foot of open backsplash space (normally there is about 18").  Not enough space to tile or make fancy, but I wanted to do more than just paint.

I came up with the idea of using sheet metal.  They sell these panels for air duct returns in the HVAC row at the hardware store, but I thought they made a perfect backdrop for my little backsplash area.  AND you can use magnets on them :)  Bonus!

If you want to use these, remember they are extremely sharp and will cut off your little fingers if you aren't careful!  Now that I've warned you, we can continue.

As I mentioned in the post about the countertops, I have a span of roughly 9'.  These little metal sections say they are 36" long...HOWEVER, I didn't measure them which is weird because I measure everything.  I carry one of those key chain measuring tapes so I don't have to guess.  But the little label above said they were 36".  They weren't.  It was more like 34.75" and that didn't include the quarter of an inch that slides into the next panel.  So, I had originally bought 3 pieces, but had to run back up to grab a 4th and cut it down to fit the small area at the end.  GRRRRR.  Oh well.

This project would be easy peasy if you didn't have outlets or water lines, but since this is the laundry room I had to make a few cuts for the openings.  There may be a super easy way to do this with a dremel or some kind of Ironman laser, but sadly all I own are metal cutters.  :(


Measure a couple of times with your piece of metal in front of you.  Transfer the measurements to the back of the metal and then check again. 


Once I had the first outlet measured and drawn on my piece, I drilled the four corners.  Then on one corner I drilled a bit more (toward the middle), enough to allow my metal cutters room to get in there and work. 


Then, I cut about a quarter of an inch in from the line.  You can cut directly on the line, but again, the edges are super sharp and I wanted mine safe for me to use.


If you cut directly on the line, you won't need to do the next couple of steps.

I used my 5in1 tool and a hammer to tap a ridge along the line.


Then I continued to tap back the flap along the opening.


Then I did the same with the water hose opening.


When you tap back the flap, there will be small dents from the hammer.  I flipped the piece over and used a piece of cardboard and tapped the hammer on the front to help smooth it out.

It went from this...


To this.  It isn't as obvious, but again when I wipe the backsplash down, I won't cut my hand on the exposed edge.


After I had all the pieces cut, I used liquid nails and secured them to the wall.  I had cabinets and outlets to hold them in place, but you may need to use painter's tape to keep them where you want them until the liquid nails dries.

See below?  There was just a few inches of a piece I had to add.  I made sure the joint edge was on the end where it was open, but if you have two open ends, you may want to create an edge on the end to keep it safe.  I did mention this stuff is sharp...right?


Here are a couple of finished photos with the countertop.  I like how it matches the cabinet hardware, the light fixture and the soon to add curtain hardware (Check back in a few days to see what I use for that).



And there you have it.  How I created a small metal backsplash for under $25.

If you want to see the entire laundry room, CLICK HERE!

Thanks for stopping by The Quaint Cottage. 

Karen :)

1 comment:

  1. I like this idea! We are in the process of finishing our unfinished basement (after waiting 4 year to get it done!) and it includes a laundry room. I'll be keeping this idea in mind when it comes time to do the fun finishing stuff!

    ReplyDelete