Laundry Room Panel Ceiling

Pin It

If you have read any of my previous posts about the ceilings in my house, you will know how the builder of my home used the popcorn texture on all the ceilings AND how much I hate said popcorn texture.  Not only is it ugly, it makes the ceilings look much lower and sucks up all the light.  But, if you have any in your house you already know.

However, instead of scraping the painted popcorn ceiling (which was a pain compared to unpainted popcorn) I decided to create a plank ceiling.

I priced the individual pieces, the ones that are primed and have the tongue and groove like flooring.  They weren't too expensive, but I found this paneling (4x8 sheets) and it was about 1/3 the cost of the individual pieces.


Let me start by emphasizing the importance of marking your ceiling joists (on the wall so you don't lose them when you go to install).  Unfortunately, it took me about a half hour to figure out my ceiling was running a different direction from the rest of the main level since the laundry room is a little bump out from the main structure.  So, instead of 16" joists, I had 24" and they ran the length of the room.  BOO!

I think that raised the difficulty level a bit, but I pressed on anyway with visions of smooth white paneling dancing in my head.

This is not a one man job.  It is probably better with several people, but only two could fit in this small room.


I installed a little bit of help on the end where I was going to start with the nails.  This little guy allowed me to use one hand to press the liquid nailed panel to the ceiling while nailing with the other hand (with hubs holding the other end to the ceiling).


Already I could see how much better it would be vs the popcorn.  Ba Bye Popcorn!!!!

In addition to the nails along the joists, I installed 1x4 flat trim and the 1x2 against the wall.  I helps hide the edges, adds support and it looks great.

Here is the last shot of the night.  I decided I would save the other piece for the morning.

 

And I added a bit of boards along the blank wall...


The next morning, I finished the ceiling and toenailed the seams to make them a bit less obvious.  I didn't want to run a piece of wood there to cover it.  The above picture is before I added the extra nails along the seam.  You can still see the seam in the right light after the paint and caulk, but it doesn't draw your eye as much as a piece of trim would do.  Look at the very first picture of this post if you want to see the finished seam with the light.

Once all the panels and boards were installed, I grabbed the goodies to make it look good.

Wood filler for the MDF boards
Caulk for the ceiling nail holes, seams, baseboards, trim pieces, etc.
Primer (accidentally bought oil based...works better, but so smelly and bad clean up)
Paint
Sanding block
Tools to hammer any nails that aren't recessed
Drywall patch for previous nail holes and wall damage
Paint Supplies
AND....rubber gloves.


This isn't to protect a manicure or anything.  I hate the way wood filler feels on my hands, so I use gloves.


Gloves for the caulk too?  Yep.  I use a cup of water to wet my finger and run it along the caulk.  It makes it look perfect.  If you haven't caulked before, it is easy to learn but it takes practice.  Don't cut the tip too big, generally an 1/8th to 3/16th is enough.


Here is the trim after I caulked, filled, sanded, primed...it is a lot of work, but if you don't do these steps your paint job will not look as good as it could.


Then two coats of the white.


I let the white dry overnight before coming back to cut in and paint the walls.  A) because I usually run into the wet paint and B) because your brush doesn't accidentally pull the white into it.

Or it gives you time for it to dry if you use painter's tape.






The color I used is Light French Gray from Behr (eggshell)
and Behr Pure Ultra White Semi-Gloss on the trim. 

This is the last post for the Laundry Room Remodel.  I hope you enjoyed following along with the project.

Have a wonderful Easter weekend!!!

Karen :)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome Karen, thanks for the tip. Where did you get that panelling & what is it called/made of/how do I find it?!! That is exactly the material I'm looking for.

    Pls email me!

    Thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anne Hi Anne. I got it at Lowe's in the same spot as the beadboard panels. Look under the 1by lumber where they have those large sheets of paneling. Next time I'm there I'll write down the item number. I think each sheet was about $24.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love it so much. I will be doing this. I know is is a stupid question. Well maybe not. You use lots of unusual ideas. I want to install wood floors in my house. I don't have a lot of money. I hate the look and sound of the laminated, easy to install floors. Do you think the 4x8 panels you used on the ceiling could be used on the floor? OR Do you have a better idea? I would love to use very wide (10") planks. wood flooring planks are just too expensive. I thought about just plain wood.... but I am afraid to jump right in that idea. Please send any ideas or suggestions you have. I love your ideas and help. Thanks, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. would this work if the ceilings are not level or would it be to wavy?

    ReplyDelete