Cabinet Installation in Laundry Room

Pin It
Here is a quick overview of the base cabinet installation of the Laundry Room.

I installed these two lower cabinets.  One for the kiddos snacks and one to hide my laundry baskets.

Step One - Install Drawer Handles.  However, when I did my kitchen renovation, I didn't install the hardware until last.  Personal choice to do it first on these two.

Here are the handles I used in the kitchen.  To install 40+ handles on that project, I came up with an easy solution...
 

I built an MDF template with scrap pieces.
 

Obviously, these new handles are a bit smaller than the ones I used in the kitchen.  Don't worry.  The template is easy to change.
 

The kitchen handles were 5" between the screws.  I had to adjust the holes to accommodate a 3" distance for the laundry room hardware.  Measured 1.5" off the center point in both directions.
 

The packet will tell you the distance.  These are Martha Stewart from Home Depot.
  

See how it would make it easier than measuring each cabinet?  Well, on some of the drawers you will need to adjust the height if they are different depths and you want your handle centered.

All you need to do for a template is find your center point on the wood or MDF and mark it.  Then measure the distance from the center point to the hole.

I know they sell these templates at the store, but this one cost me nothing and it works just as good.
 

With the template ready, I marked the center point on the drawer (making certain the height was in the right spot for these handles) and attached the template to the drawer front with a clamp.

The only problem with some hardware is that it doesn't come with two different sizes of screws to accommodate the drawer and the drawer front.

But these did.  Yay!  If they don't (like all of my kitchen handles) you can use a countersink bit from inside the cabinet drawer to the depth you need.  Well, that is how I did my kitchen cabinets since I couldn't find longer screws to fit the hardware I purchased on-line.

Step two:  Install the Door pulls.  It's pretty much the same process, but the template I built for that was a bit different.

See?  There are blocks on the top and on the side.

Again, I had to adjust the template for the new hardware.

I found the center of the top edge of the border and marked the template.  Measure down from the top and from the side.  This template can be used on upper cabinets, lower cabinets (right side and left side).

This is where I like to see my handles when it is just a single knob.

Screw the knob onto the screw, tighten with a screwdriver.

Step three:  Build Platform.  You won't need to do this, but I wanted the lines of the counter to be one long piece instead of two different levels.  So I made the cabinets the same height as the washer and dryer.

The 2x4 base added almost enough height.  I then added a 1x2 MDF piece (laying flat) to the top of the cabinet when I installed the counter to give me the rest of the space I needed.

Set cabinets on top of the platform.  Level if necessary with shims.

Screw the cabinets together and into the wall studs at the top (I also toenailed a few finish nails at the base into the platform which was also screwed to the studs). 

I finished with a piece of baseboard at the top (where the normal toe kick would be) and a 1x6 piece of primed MDF board.

Step Four:  Optional Extras to use the entire space.

You could build your own roll out shelves.  Since I just wanted to finish this project, I bought this.  It is way more expensive than a DIY project, but very sturdy.  It should last forever.



Then I found these baskets (called Lampers or Haskets? - Laundry Basket/Hamper).  Much taller and more narrow than a regular basket.  They sell at some Lowe's and Target.  Two of these fit perfectly in a 36" cabinet.  PLUS, they hold a ton of clothes.

The finished product - New Pantry and Laundry cabinets.

Thank you for stopping by today.  If you want to take a look at the finished laundry room, CLICK HERE!

Karen :)

No comments:

Post a Comment