Simple Wooden Sign

Pin It
Here is today's project in the 31 Days of Simple Wood Project series.


I started with two pieces of 1x4 approximately 36" long and screws then together.  If you don't have Kreg screws, you can always use those thin strips across the boards in a couple of spots and screw the boards together or a larger single board.
I grabbed an orange paint, turquoise, stain and drybrushed until I created a distressed look.
I used painters tape to create letters.
Drybrushed a white paint over the tape to create the letters.
If you aren't satisfied with the dry brushed letters, you can always age them a bit with a high grit sand paper, 200-300 range.  Remember the higher the number the better for final phases of finishing.  Don't use a 60 grit at this stage unless you want to completely remove the paint to start over.

And I hung over the kitchen window. 

Ta da!  Very simple and inexpensive wall art.

Thank you for checking out this simple project. Be sure to check out the other projects here.

13 comments:

  1. Love it. I'm going to copy you. I have a space right above my sink that is just asking for this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @hotmama2u Thank you!! Have fun making your sign. I was stumped on what to put on it, but then I was like - kitchen, food...EAT! hahaha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is cute and doable for me. I just might give it a try:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shawn Yay! Thank you. Let me know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried dry brushing things before to get this look, but it never comes out right. In what order to you put the coclors? Orange first, then stain, then turquois?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @halstong I used the stain first, then orange, then blue. I found if you use just the smallest amount of paint on the end of the brush (you can even blot it first on a papertowel) then random strokes it will come together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The color scheme of this is AMAZING! Do you know the brand and color names for the stain, the orange?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Minwax stain (I think it was special walnut) and those little Behr sample pots of paint. They were Oops colors on sale. One was orange and one was turquoise, but I don't think the names were even listed on the pots.

      Delete
  8. What kind/color of stain did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you use a lighter colored stain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a dark stain base (I think it was "Special Walnut") with the turquoise and orange colors.

      Delete
  10. So I have all the supplies to do this project, my only question to you is, did you stain the whole entire thing and then do the dry brush technique with just the paints? Or did you do the dry brush with the stain, filled in with the paint? And did you let each step dry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would let the stain dry completely. Then dry brush a bit with one color, let dry. Then add the next color. You can always go back and add a touch here and there, so go lightly at first to get your technique for the look you are doing. Have fun!

      Delete