Simple Wooden Crate Cubbie Shelf

Pin It
A couple of years ago, I bought some small cubbies to hang on the wall to display items.  I bought 3 from Target for about $20, but never really liked them.  They were small and didn't have any character.

Today in the 31 Days of Simple Wood Projects, I would like to present the cubbie. 

I used left over scraps...I save all scraps.  You never know when you can build or use them.

You will need 4 pieces of 1x4.  The two side pieces will need to be the same size and the top and bottom need to be the same size. 

The small strips (see below) I use in many of these simple projects and are around $15 for about 50 pieces (four feet long).


You can hang with the rows horizontally.

Or vertically


Construct a square with the wood and nail two nails at each end


Then secure the 11.5" strips (equally spaced).  I used five in the model, but used six in the finished piece.  You may be able to just glue these in place with wood glue and let sit overnight with a heavy telephone book over them.  Do they still make telephone books?
 

Here is a bundle of those strips of thin wood ($15).  I found in the fencing section by the lattice.

I used Red Oak stain on pine

Just attach picture hangers to the back and hang. 
I'm going to build a few more in different sizes to hang in a group. 

Thank you for checking out this simple project.  Be sure to check out the other projects here.

31 Days of Simple Wood Projects

Linked to:
Thrifty Decor Chick

7 comments:

  1. quick and easy,, thats what i like in a project.. Thanks! I didnt know about the bundle of those boards for $15.. got to go check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama I love easy projects too. Thanks for checking it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tutorial! I am loving your 31 days of wood projects. I have been checking it out everyday. I will be linking your blog up to mine today if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Breakfast For Dinner I don't mind at all. Thank you for following along with the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. <3 it ... I need something like this for our Masterbath Thanks for posting <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Brooke Nicole I was thinking the same thing. Maybe grouping a few over the tub. So many possibilities. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hang that simple wooden crate cubbie shelf on the wall with picture hangers and you will have an instant storage. This is a very clever idea.

    ReplyDelete