Simple Wooden Chalkboard Coat Hook

Pin It

About two weeks ago, my favorite builder Ana White posted this coat hook and communication board combo on her Pinterest board for a future project. I loved it so much, I had to recreate one for my laundry room for the 31 days of simple wood projects series.  Mine is only 4 sections instead of 7 due to lack of room.


Cut list:
1x4
2 - 28"
2 - 50"

1x2
3 - 28"
1 - 50"

48" x24" sheet of lauan, cut down to 16" 
If you don't have a circular saw, you may want to have them cut this at the lumber store.

Attach 2 50" 1x4 boards at the top and bottom of 2 28" 1x4 boards (recess the boards 1" at the ends to create the more rustic feel) to create the outer square (wait to attach the 50" 1x2 board until after you attach the chalkboard lauan piece (16" wide x 48" long).
I would suggest painting the lauan sheet with the chalkboard paint BEFORE attaching to the frame so you don't need to use painter tape and worry about painting on the frame.  I stained my frame, but the inspiration piece has a distressed white.  Your preference.

Attach the back lauan piece and the bottom frame 1x2 for the chalkboard.  Then secure 3 (equally spaced) 1x2 28" boards to create the sections.


Add the coat hangers and hang on the wall.



Thank you for checking out this simple project. Be sure to check out the other projects here.


Linked to:

23 comments:

  1. I have just the spot for something like this.. I love your 31 day challenge idea,, cant wait to see what else is in store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama Thanks! I hope I can keep up with all the projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to spend my free time by reading different web sites and today i came across your site and I think that it is one of the best free resources available! Well done! Keep on this quality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this very much! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great! I so need one of these in my house for my kids! I found you through The Gunny Sack. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Crafty Mischief Welcome! I hope there will be more projects you like. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You build some of the most amazing things! I love this! Featured you today!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/10/five-feature-friday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Katie Thank you so much. You made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I totally need one of these for my kids stuff! Wow!! I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just wanted to let you know that I am featuring this on Sassy Sanctuary today. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Krystal Thank you so much Krystal. I am honored. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great project! I like the smaller scale too, nice job!

    ReplyDelete