Simple Wooden Canvas Art Project

Pin It
I found this fabric on ebay many years ago.  I had planned on making a skirt for my daughter with it, but I loved it too much to cut it.  Weird, eh? 

Any who, I had this idea of framing it and displaying it instead.  Now that we are redoing her new room and making it a bit of a big girl room, this was the perfect opportunity to use it.

Instead of framing, the idea of making it look like a piece of painted art work crossed my mind.
What do you think?


It was really simple to do.
We laid out the fabric (which was an odd shaped cut, like 20" x 54")


My beautiful assistant marked the boards for me to cut.

Ignore the fact that I'm only half finished with her new floor.  Mmmmk?

We cut 2x2 boards, but I'm sure 1x2 would work just as well.  Make sure you measure the boards so the fabric is about 3" longer all the way around.  You want to make sure you can attach it on the back of the boards where it will be hidden on the wall.

For the 20" x 54" frame I cut two 48" for the long boards, two 16" pieces for the end pieces and two 13" pieces for extra support in the middle.


Just like you would replace fabric on a seat cushion, you will start in the middle.  Staple on side, pull snug and staple directly across from the last staple.  Work your way in one direction until you get to the end.


On the four corners, just fold over and staple. 
This project took about 15 minutes...but I had an amazing helper to make my measurements for me.  :) 
In case you are wondering, she did pick the color of her new room.  Grey.  I love it.


I also have an idea of doing this same thing with white sheet to create a canvas.  Then use painter's tape to create a geometric design and spray paint over the canvas.  The possibilities are endless, don't you think?  And this project is so much cheaper and bigger than buying a blank canvas at the craft store.

Thank you for checking out this simple project. Be sure to check out the other projects here.

6 comments:

  1. cute! i just saw this on tt&j and i love the print :)

    www.itstaylormade.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fabric is really awesome. Great way to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fine work with the wooden canvas. It is both art and craftmanship.

    ReplyDelete