Rustic Farmhouse Table Centerpiece

Pin It After I browsed through the latest PB issue, I found a few things that might look amazing in the center of my new farmhouse table I built.  If you missed that post, click here.

I found these and wanted to find a way to incorporate a piece of my own.

See this long herb holder...

Pottery Barn

And this condiment jar holder...
Pottery Barn

Here is what I came up with....  I found this rustic wood at Home Depot.  It reminded me of pallet wood.  You can't use it for anything longer than 3 or 4 feet because it is so warped, but I liked the look for this project.
Don't you just love that little imperfection in the wood?

I cut two side mitered boards about three feet long, a base piece and two end pieces.  And let the hubby try his hand at beating up the boards to give it a lived in look. 


I sampled a few test patches with on the bottom of the base, but everyone I tried covered up the natural colors.  I decided to poly the raw boards.




And guess what?  My metal vegetable cans from the pantry fit in there perfectly.  As soon as I save enough to fill the inside, I'm going to decorate with plants or herbs...I might even find some faux grass at the craft store to dress it up until then.  Thoughts?

5 comments:

  1. Nice work! looking forward to seeing it filled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beth. I can't wait to see it finished too. Now that I'm looking at it, I might want to use glass bottles. I'll have to keep my eye open at the store for some that look good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is awesome! I am seeing it filled with the metal cans from the pantry and then used as a vege tray with long sticks of celery, carrots, peppers, and such. It would be so cute for a party :) I am going to be making my own soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog, and really like it! I just bought ( not quite handy enough to build...) my own rustic farmhouse table and was looking for inspiration on what to put in the middle. You could fill that new centerpiece with green/brown moss from the dollar store, and place little tea-light candles across it, in little 2 inch glass candle holders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Allie I like your idea, it sounds really neat. Right now I just have glass mason jars in it with seasonal decor, but the fun part is I can change it all the time.

    ReplyDelete