How to Make a Brand New Table Look Weathered

Pin It

A few days ago,  I built the Copy Cat Nesting Table (Large).  Here is the picture of it:

Starting point -

Added a coat of turquoise (no primer)

Let it dry overnight, then attacked it with 60 grit sandpaper.  Roughed up several "worn" spots.  I wanted it to look like there were places where maybe it was rubbed over time.  Also, it helps in my house to have everything already "lived in" so if it gets battered by the kiddos, it's no big deal.

Strategically sanded the leg edges, leaving the sander on random spots a bit longer to wear through the paint.



Then I grabbed the darkest stain I had, which happened to be Walnut.

I brushed the stain onto the table, working at a section at a time.  It really doesn't matter if you streak or cover the entire area, when you use a cloth (old socks work great since I always have extras) to remove the excess.  You can leave it heavy for more of a glazing or you can remove as much as possible to just have a little color on the paint.

I brushed the stain on my surface working one side at a time.  Then, once I had the stain on the table I wiped it off.  I rubbed heavy in random spots and left it glazed in others, especially the inside corners.

See how the wood looks on the rubbed spots with the stain added?  It looks like it took years to get this.  If you choose to have it more worn for a more weathered look, you can customize this finish for your taste.

















I probably posted too many pictures, but I wanted to show all the cool little spots that turned out nice.

Thank you for stopping by today - Karen :)










29 comments:

  1. LUV LUV LUV this, Karen! Thank you for such a wonderful tutorial on painting and staining. I'm always a little wary of staining over my painting project - but now you have banished that fear and I will step forward ..... and stain! lol!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do it exactly the way I do :) Too cool... I love this, it's sooo easy :) I've successfully done this to a lot of my projects :)
    Love your result!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job, love the colour, I share your worn look philosophy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the worn out look! Thanks for stopping by Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays and joining the party

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your kind comments. It is great to find others with the same love of old looking pieces.

    And thank you to A Beach Cottage for a wonderful link party and great ideas. I am a big fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just gorgeous!!! Love the color and the look, amazing! Thanks for linking!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin,
    Thanks for hosting such a great link party. I was checking out so many blogs I lost track of time. I added your button to my blog to check back often. I love your work. :)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks fabulous! i love that color and your finishing job is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial. One day I'm going to be brave enough to try this! If you have a moment, I would love for you to share this project on my Inspiration Board.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/07/inspiration-board-link-party_19.html
    Thanks for the inspiration.
    carolyn | homework

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Cassie!

    Carolyn, thanks for the invite. I added it to your party and I added you to my page. Nice work on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful work! I love the shape of this little table, and the color you chose is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this table! The color is beautiful and the pictures were very helpful! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're welcome Sarah. Thank you for your kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So simple and GREAT results! Thanks! This will be so helpful for our next project! Love your site!! I'm a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for following. I'll have the smaller table that fits into this large nesting table this weekend. And I'm trying out a new finish on another wood project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the color and the distressing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Job Karen! I'll have to try this stain technique!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shared your post on my Top 10 Pretty Things :)

    http://www.stoneycreekshops.com/2011/07/top-10-pretty-things.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have inspired me to beat up a fun old dinning room set I have been pondering over for years! - Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks fantastic, I can't wait to see the rest of the nesting tables! Great finish

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much. There is something quite fun about distressing furniture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. So fantastic, and one of my favorite colors. Can I ask the paint name/brand?

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is Behr brand - Gem Turquoise color

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Karen, love your blog and all of your talent! Is the paint just a latex canned paint? Oil based? Spray paint?

    Thanks much!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Billy B Hi :) It is just regular old Behr Paint. I think it was one of those sample pots so it was probably a flat latex paint. Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this and am off to do it to my kitchen table now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. did u put a top coat on over the stain?

    ReplyDelete